January 7, 2009

sticks and stones may break my bones, but six word memoirs can never bore me

Six-word memoirs are addicting. Thanks to NPR, I found out about the compilation of these memoirs on the Smith Magazine. I set out to write a few of my own--which you can find in my blog entries from November. I read the new ones on the site daily. My latest discovery was the blog by a fellow Smith Mag reader, Miandering. She writes a six-word memoir for every country she visits in her travels. BRILLIANT! Before I found out about her idea, I too was inspired by a country, and it was in Italy that I happened to write my own six-word biography:
I build my future on love.
It's addicting, I'm telling you. So, I did another for the Food Life:
Why can't my dinner be cake?
And then another for Six Words for America (and Obama):
Proves that American dream is alive.
...and then I wrote another about Love & Heartbreak:
true Romeos do exist in Italy.
Then there are a few others of mine on the SmithTeens website...

As you can see, I've been reading six word memoirs for a while now. Even though I only wrote a few insignificant entries on my SmithMag page, to my pleasant surprise, Larry Smith, who started the Smith Magazine, wrote me an email! At first I thought...This is just some automated site email...sent out to Smith Mag community members like me, but it was really him, the real Larry!

He wrote:

"Hey, thanks for the link on your blog. I too share a love of Italy and in fact Eat, Pray, Love. Elizabeth did a six-word memoir for our first six-word book, and our new one coming out in January. She's not in this video, but you might like it, anyway...."

(Six-Word Memoir video on Love & Heartbreak)

best,
Larry

And then I really knew it wasn't automated when he reported that his wife is a Smithie too! "Smithies show up everywhere," he said.

Couldn't have said it better myself.
....and hey! there you have it. My six-word thought of the day!


PS- sneak peek at the Six-word memoirs book: Not Quite What I was Planning

1 comment:

chiappo said...

dopo quando ti telefono mi spieghi. un pò ho capito.