December 23, 2008

Italians vs. Americans during the holidays...

I have a habit of comparing Italian culture to American culture. I do it constantly. My friends get annoyed and accuse me of being arrogant. But not all the things I say about Italy are good! And not all the things I say about America are bad!! For example, I love talking about the weather. A real New England cold and white Christmas can never compare to the gray and mild Florentine winters. On the other hand, there is nothing cozier and more enjoyable than the outdoor shopping under the little lights along via Corso, via Calzaiuoli and in Piazza Repubblica of Florence. Everyone is out and about, hand in hand, or stopping for a cioccolata calda while they shop in the little boutiques.

Our idea of Christmas shopping is a one-stop-shop at the mall, where you buy all your gifts under one roof. I took my sister to the Natick Collection (doubled in size while I was away!) so she could buy her gifts in one day at one place. My mom and I went down to the outdoor outlets for more shopping. If you want to shop at the mall, then be prepared to stalk people to their cars in order to claim their parking space. What a sad way to start the holidays, pushing and shoving! I even heard that on the day of the sales after Thanksgiving, some unfortunate store employee got trampled by all the customers running into the store to fight for the sales. It must've been killer sales prices! What embarrassing proof of our materialistic consumer culture...

Anyway, in my defense, I just can't help but compare the two cultures because I find it so fascinating to learn and be aware of the differences between them. I think there are benefits to learning more about the Italians. They have a lot of great things (like adding salt to pasta, siesta nap times post-lunch and fresh food markets) that could really improve our lifestyle. Living in Florence has taught me how to relax, eat well and enjoy life to say the least.

Going back to the other perspective in all fairness, Americans always uphold our tradition to relax, eat well and enjoy their holiday season**** (after all the mad crazy stressful rush to buy the gifts of course). We have been cooking for three days in my house. I made a Tiramisu ("pick me up") the real way with lady fingers and brandy too, butternut squash risotto and verdure arroste (roasted veggies with eggplant, potatoes, carrots, zucchini, cherry tomatoes, celery, red onion). My mom and dad made an apple pie, lobster pie, yule log, pecan sticky sweet buns. See!? We know how to eat well!


***ONLY DURING THE HOLIDAYS...
Happy Christmas and eat up!
Auguri e Buone feste!

1 comment:

chiappo said...

sono d'accordo è esattamente quello che pensavo a proposito del vivere il natale in america e in italia..


P.S. ottimo blog makeover, elegante non troppo cheery, è quello giusto!


Auguri di buon Natale